I read the first installment of Dork and found it to be funny, sarcastic, appropriately witty, but essentially a silly book. Not that I didn’t enjoy it or laugh greedily at it, but I generally do not want books like it or people like Robin “Einstein” Varghese to succeed. But apparently they do and this book is some sort of a National Best Seller, like a thousand other books, if you go by what the covers of these books say.

When its sequel God Save the Dork came out, I could not believe it. But then, it is a national best seller again and Flipkart always pushes it as one of my recommendations, regardless of the number of times I browsed Midnight’s Children and Thus Spake Zarathustra on the site. I never wanted to buy it, but had to give in because Flipkart gives free shipping only on orders exceeding 500 INR and the purchase I was doing only amounted to 390 INR. Also, I was 34% or 16 books behind my schedule to reach my reading challenge of 50 books a year on Goodreads and this one is surely an easy read. So, as you see, the world conspired against me to make me read it or else I would never have read this sort of books with little or no literary merit whatsoever. Speaking of which, I should finish the damn Midnight’s Children at least this time. It is my 15th attempt at it now and only 2 more separate me from the stupid Ghazini.

Coming to the book, I knew how it was going to end before it started making the stupid protagonist richer by the end of it. But how can I ever put it away when it had generous helpings of jokes like
Q: Which Indian Scientist has the best opportunity of getting jobs regularly?
A: C.V. Raman.

I have to confess that I enjoy these sorts of jokes, just that I don’t want to be found reading them. I read this during my office hours to avoid wasting my productive time, but had to carry it home and finish the damn thing. It is 242 pages long and if you discount the prologue, acknowledgements and all other jazz and take into account huge amounts of blankness in the pages, you would know that this really is a 150 pager. But, no one would give a damn about a single book of 450 pages that says Book One, Book Two and all. So what do they do, they make it into three parts and call it a trilogy. Genius (Stupid). And we are all suckers for that kind of shit.

Now you might have noted that this review is not a review at all, which if you ask me is just as well since this book is not a book at all. I admit that I enjoyed reading it, but I wished it put Robin into more distress than it had managed. In hindsight, there is no point since at the end of it he is going to walk away rich and comfortable to the company of more idiots.

Just finished and updated it on my Goodreads account, but the damn thing still says I’m 34% behind on schedule. Enraged, I gave the book one star rating on the website and proceeded to all other sites and gave one star everywhere. Still the average rating shows 3.45 stars. Idiots everywhere. I thought of creating more user accounts and rate it a single star with each of them, but how can a single man’s intellect balance collective stupidity of a generation? Simple answer. It can’t.


I will probably write a more scathing review when I buy and read the next book. I’m not satisfied with this one, but I’m bored.